August 4, 2011

Looking Plain



It's one of those days.


You know, the kind of day where you wake up, and before you even look at yourself in the mirror, you feel it.


That feeling of looking horrid. Unattractive. Ghastly. Homely. 


And no matter how much make-up you put on, how long you spend doing your hair, choosing a cute outfit, that feeling is still there, because when you remove all that stuff, it's still you underneath it all.


I try not to think about it that much. But it's hard not to wish I looked like somebody else. There is that rare day when I actually DO like how I look, but those days are few and far between.


I look in the mirror, and my eyes immediately focus on those blemishes all over my face. The oily skin, the pimples, the unkempt hair.


Why can't I look like those people that wake up and instantly look gorgeous? They don't have to do a thing and they already look 100% better than I do! It drives me nuts how some people can pull it all off without even trying!


My self-esteem wanes sometimes. Like when I see ordinary people, not celebrities, but ordinary people in my neighborhood who look so breathtakingly gorgeous that they could be models!


I know I am sounding so vain right now, but I think inside all of us there is that occasional feeling of jealousy, even if we do feel comfortable in our own skin. 


My sweet husband is always telling me how beautiful I am. I am truly blessed to be married to him! But I still want to KNOW for myself that I am beautiful.


Each of us has our own insecurities, whether it's our weight, height, hair color, skin tone, teeth, eyes. 


I just have to stick with my gut and realize that I am the way I am because that's the way I was made. My husband loves me for who I am, and for the way I look. I can't change that. 


I don't want to change that. Despite my insecurities, I do know that deep down, I am beautiful. 


I am unique. 


And that helps bring my spirits up, along with a little mascara and lip gloss!


How do you boost your self-esteem on those days when you feel like you just poked your head up out of a garbage can?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...